We recently purchased a fancy Bocastle ($18) family meat pie, that was worth EVERY PENNY! It was a spectacular meat pie! Evie LOVED it! Instead of spending another $18 on pie, I decided to save some pennies and get baking some of my own Evie-sized pies. The result was very positive.
I jumped onto Taste.com and found a recipe for the pies and another one for the basic mince that is the filling.
– Onions and veggies cooking off to start with –
– The mince is cooked off and then tomatoes and sauces go in near the end –
– The final item…the fresh flat leaf parsley
– After it had cooked for 45 minutes, the flavours had really infused –
– I hunted around for a round kitchen item that was the perfect fit for the muffin trays I used…a funnel was the closest –
– The shortcrust pastry fits snugly into the muffin tins –
– In goes the goodness –
– Ready for the oven. I trialled some different toppings: sesame seeds, flaked salted and freshly cracked black pepper –
– Straight out of the oven –
– An arty shot….like? –
– Evie is ready to devour her Evie-sized pie –
I love knowing exactly what goes into our food – knowing there’s no added preservatives and the meat is lower in fat makes me feel better about eating foods like this. The Evie-sized pies were also a hit with Husband….the downside of that was that he would eat four pies, to Evie’s one pie…meaning they didn’t last very long.
Have you made meat pies before? Or do you think they’re easier just to buy? Do you have a preferred brand?